Luminescent Silicon Quantum Dot Nanocrystals
Our silicon quantum dots show defined photoluminescent properties that are dependent on size and surface-modification. As they are made of biocompatible silicon, these quantum dots are less toxic than heavy metal based alternatives and are exciting candidates for biological applications such as in-vitro imaging; optoelectronic applications such as solar cells and LED displays; and even security inks on banknotes.
The silicon quantum dots are surface modified with different capping agents to prevent oxidation, and can be tailored to produce hydrophilic or hydrophobic quantum dots for a desired application.
Relevant publications List
Example Specification Sheets
- Material: Silicon, Si
- Size: 2 - 4 nm (particles larger than 4 nm are not luminescent)
- Standard deviation: < 1 nm
- Shape: Spherical
- Physical appearance: yellow oil to colourless solution
- Solubility: Water or alcohols for hydrophilic surface modification. Non-polar solvents (such as hexane) for hydrophobic.
- Surface modification: Common surface modification include propylamine (water dispersible) and hexane (dispersible in non-polar solvents). Tailoring of the functionality possible.
- Storage: Under nitrogen at 4 ℃ for longevity.